A candidate is qualified for selection if he fulfils the requirement under Article 123 of the Federal Constitution.
The Commission in selecting candidates shall take into account amongst others, the following criteria :
- integrity, competency and experience;
- objective, impartial, fair and good moral character;
- decisiveness, ability to make timely judgments and good legal writing skills;
- industriousness and ability to manage cases well and;
- physical and mental health.
A person who is a serving judge or judicial commissioner must not be appointed if he has three or more pending judgments or unwritten grounds of judgments that are overdue by sixty days or more from the date they are deemed to be due.
The Commission in selecting candidates must also take into account the need to encourage diversity in the range of legal expertise and knowledge in the judiciary.